48 Hours in Memphis
Known for its legendary music scene, rich black history, and delectable Southern cuisine, Memphis is one of Tennessee’s most popular and iconic destinations. While there’s certainly plenty to do and see in the “Home of the Blues,” 48 hours in Memphis is still more than enough time to hit up the major highlights and sample a taste of the city. From the best bites to the city’s most popular attractions, here’s the ultimate list of what to do in Memphis in 48 hours.
National Civil Rights Museum
Step back in time at the National Civil Rights Museum and walk through the very same building where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated. If you only have time to visit one museum during your 48 hour stay in Memphis, this one should be it!
Stax Museum of American Soul Music
Discover the history of soul music at the Stax Museum, where you’ll find more than 2,000 musical artifacts, including musical instruments, stage costumes, and even an antique car.
Slave Haven Underground Railroad Museum
Learn more about the antislavery movement and explore parts of the Underground Railroad at the Slave Haven Museum.
A Tour of Possibilities
Make the most of your 48 hours in Memphis and join “A Tour of Possibilities.” This Black History tour takes you to many of the city’s most historically significant sites, including the location where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his final speech.
Time for “Good Eats” at some of the best restaurants in Memphis
Sip a cup of joe and learn about the black history of coffee – a history that stems from the soils of Ethiopia and spans the ages of colonialism.
Withers Collection x Beale Street Brewing
Explore American history through photos at the Withers Collection Museum & Gallery. Then travel across the street and grab a pint of craft beer at Beale Street Brewing, Tennessee’s first black-owned brewery.
Cocktails at Inkwell
Sip a signature cocktail at this trendy new bar in Edge District. If you’re feeling peckish, you can even grab an appetizer from their limited menu.
By The Brewery
This quaint eatery is the perfect spot to grab a quick bite to eat during your 48 hour stay in Memphis. Stop here for breakfast or lunch – either way, you’re sure to be pleasantly satisfied.
Serving Southern cuisine with a hint of Creole, Mahogany Memphis is an upscale restaurant that you’re sure to enjoy. Time your visit with one of their live performances for the ultimate night out.
Renowned for its homemade soul food, Alencia’s Restaurant is a must, even if you’re only in Memphis for 48 hours. Featured on Food Network and the Travel Channel, this colorful eatery is as delicious as it is bright!
Curry N Jerk Authentic Caribbean Cuisine
If you’re craving authentic Caribbean food, then be sure to add Curry N Jerk to your 48 hour Memphis itinerary. Any visit here is sure to make you feel as if you’ve been transported to the islands.
Supper Club on 2nd
Home to a fine-casual urban bistro and cocktail kitchen, Supper Club on 2nd is an excellent destination for a fancy night out on the town.
Take a break at Caption Hotel’s Talk Shop, where you’ll find a variety of local bites, cocktails, and draft beer.
Stay at Caption by Hyatt Beale Street Memphis
Situated in the heart of the city, Caption Hotel is the perfect spot to stay during your 48 hours in Memphis. Not only does it offer easy access to the city, but the hotel is also home to several incredible amenities, including a beer garden and an on-site swimming pool. Whether you’re a solo traveler, new traveler, baby boomer traveler, or business traveler, Caption has everything you need to make the most of your stay in Memphis.
- National Civil Rights Movement: https://www.civilrightsmuseum.org/
- Stax Museum of American Soul Music: https://staxmuseum.com/
- Slave Haven Underground Railroad Museum: https://slavehavenmuseum.org/
- A Tour of Possibilities: https://www.atopmemphis.com/
- Cxffeeblack: https://cxffeeblack.com/
- Cocktails at Inkwell: https://www.drinkatinkwell.com/
- Withers Collection x Beale Street Brewing: http://www.bealestreet.com/withers-collection-museum-and-gallery & https://bealestbrewing.com/home.html
- By The Brewery: https://www.bythebrewery.com/
- Mahogany Memphis: https://www.restaurantji.com/tn/memphis/mahogany-memphis-/
- Alcenia’s: https://www.alcenias.com/
- Curry N Jerk Authentic Caribbean Cuisine: https://currynjerk.com/
- Supper Club on 2nd: https://www.ilovesupperclub.com/
- Talk Shop: https://talkshopmemphis.com/
- Caption by Hyatt Beale Street Memphis: https://www.hyatt.com/caption-by-hyatt/memcp-caption-by-hyatt-beale-street-memphis